1 CBS News - Ultimate News Feed Detail Page - Nap-Sack Nap-Sack The Social Website with a Purpose

CBS News »

  • Cops: Kidnapped woman rescued after mouthing "help me"

    Posted 2017-12-11 20:29:22 by: Nap-Sack ....

    SALEM, Ore. — A man authorities say kidnapped a woman and her child, holding them at their home, has been arrested after he took her to a store and she mouthed the words "help me" to several people.Christopher Hahn-Collins, 25, of Salem, is scheduled for a hearing Monday afternoon at Marion County Circuit Court. It wasn't immediately clear if he had an attorney.The sheriff's office said Saturday Hahn-Collins had broken into the woman's home on Friday, and when she and her child returned there, he held them at knifepoint overnight and into Saturday. The unidentified woman convinced Hahn-Collins to take her to the Dick's Sporting Goods store on Saturday afternoon, where she was rescued by deputies who had been called to the scene by people who saw her plead for help.Detectives say Hahn-Collins and the victims didn't know each other previously. Hahn-Collins was booked into the  Marion County Jail on two counts of first-degree kidnapping, menancing, first-degree burglary, unlawful possession and unlawful use of a weapon, giving false information to police and a parole violation warrant on a previous sex abuse charge, reports CBS affiliate KOIN. © 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • SpaceX readies used rocket for launch

    Posted 2017-12-11 20:23:27 by: Nap-Sack ....

    SpaceX is readying a previously flown Falcon 9 booster and an equally "used" Dragon cargo ship for launch Tuesday on a flight to deliver 4,800 pounds of equipment and supplies to the International Space Station. It will be the California rocket builder's 17th flight so far this year.The launching will mark the fourth time SpaceX has - a first for NASA - and the second time the California rocket builder has re-launched a .Kirk Shireman, space station program manager at the Johnson Space Center, said the agency conducted an exhaustive review and concluded the Falcon 9 first stage, which helped launch another station supply mission this past June, is just as safe as a brand new rocket."We're very comfortable that the risk posture on this vehicle is not significantly greater than a new booster," he told reporters Monday. "Some risks are actually less on a reflown booster and some risks are a little greater. The net result is about equivalent risk."The Falcon 9, sporting a new second stage and a Dragon cargo ship that delivered supplies to the International Space Station in 2015, is scheduled for launch from pad 40 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 11:46:55 a.m. EST Tuesday. Forecasters are predicting a 90 percent chance of favorable weather.This will be the first launch off complex 40 since a on Sept. 1, 2016, destroying the rocket and its satellite payload and heavily damaging the firing stand. With pad 40 out of action, SpaceX launched 16 Falcon 9 missions, 12 from pad 39A at the nearby Kennedy Space Center and four from Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.But SpaceX needs all of its pads to meet the company's ambitious launch schedule. Jessica Jensen, manager of Dragon operations for SpaceX, said the rebuilt pad 40 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station is much improved over the original."Instead of just rebuilding the pad as it was, we wanted to modernize it," she said. "Basically, we wanted to take a 10-year-old pad and make it high tech."The rebuilt ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • NPR radio host faces misconduct allegations

    Posted 2017-12-11 20:15:02 by: Nap-Sack ....

    BOSTON - Tom Ashbrook, the host of one of National Public Radio's most successful programs, has been placed on leave while he's investigated for allegations of wrongdoing including engaging in "creepy" sex talks and unwanted contact with 11 mostly young women and men.The allegations against Ashbrook include unwanted hugs and neck and back rubs to other people associated with the show. They were contained in a document and confirmed in multiple interviews by WBUR-FM, the Boston station that produces the show.The station and station owner Boston University have hired an outside firm to investigate.Ashbrook was put on leave last week. He says "once the facts come out" people will see him for who he is - "flawed but caring and decent" in his dealings with others. "On Point" is carried by more than 290 NPR stations.Charlie Kravetz, WBUR's general manager, addressed his staff last week in an off-the-record meeting, but declined questions about the allegations, according to the station's . "Our primary concern is a positive work environment for everybody who works here and a respect for all those people who listen here in Boston and across the country," Kravetz said. © 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • American Express drops signature requirement for purchases

    Posted 2017-12-11 19:43:49 by: Nap-Sack ....

    American Express () will stop requiring a signature for purchases early next year, the credit-card issuer announced. It joins Mastercard () and Discover (), which eliminated signature requirements earlier this year. AmEx said the changes will be effective next April and will apply to purchases globally. "Our fraud capabilities have advanced so that signatures are no longer necessary to fight fraud," said Jaromir Divilek, the company's executive vice president of Global Network Business, in a . AmEx already doesn't require signatures for purchases under $50 in the US and under $100 in Canada.Discover announced last week it was , and Mastercard made the change in . All three companies cited advances in security technology as reasons to do away with the signature, once a widespread method to ensure that a card purchase was genuine. Since 2015, US credit cards have been required to have chips, which create a unique code for every transaction, making them much less susceptible to fraud. But such cards are less secure than similar European chip cards that require a pin, critics . Fraudsters using technology like  can still steal data from a chip card. Visa (), which eliminated signatures for transactions under $25, remains the only major  to require a signature for other purchases. © 2017 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Generic Viagra hits the market today

    Posted 2017-12-11 19:41:44 by: Nap-Sack ....

    In news that will delight men who've had difficulties in the bedroom, two are scheduled to hit the market Monday.One of the new generics is made by Teva Pharmaceuticals, and the other by Greenstone, a subsidiary of Pfizer, the company that manufactures Viagra.The generic versions of the little blue pill (sildenafil) will likely be cheaper than brand-name Viagra for most men. And more generic versions are expected next year, which could drive prices even lower.Viagra came on the market in 1998 as the first drug to treat impotence. Cialis (tadalafil) and Levitra (vardenafil) are two other erectile dysfunction medications. They work by relaxing muscle cells in the penis, which allows for greater blood flow, according to the Urology Care Foundation.Pfizer says the current wholesale cost for a 50 milligram or 100 milligram Viagra is $61.54 a pill. Greenstone will sell the generic version for between $30 and $35 a pill.However, both of those figures represent the price the drug maker charges. A number of variables affect the final cost a consumer pays, such as mark-ups from pharmacy benefit managers or pharmacies, and insurance coverage and co-pays."Cost has been a tremendous issue for patients. Many patients have been unable to obtain the medication since insurance companies don't pay for it and out-of-pocket costs are astronomical," said Dr. Aaron Katz, chairman of urology at NYU Winthrop Hospital in Mineola, N.Y."The hope is that [the introduction of generics] will reduce the cost, and patients will have greater access to Viagra, which has been an important medication for healthy men with ," he added.Dr. Warren Bromberg is chief of urology at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco, N.Y. He agreed that cost has been an issue with these drugs.Generic versions "will be of real benefit to the majority of men," he said. "The brand erectile dysfunction drugs are often not covered by commercial payers [insurance companies], or are covered but with substantial ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Glitches reported in deadline week for Obamacare sign-ups

    Posted 2017-12-11 19:36:20 by: Nap-Sack ....

    Consumer advocates reported some glitches Monday in the final days for "Obamacare" ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Climber falls to his death during skyscraper stunt

    Posted 2017-12-11 19:29:12 by: Nap-Sack ....

    CHANGSHA, China - A well-known climber who has thousands of followers on the social network Weibo died while performing a skyscraper stunt in China, . Wu Yongning, 26, died on Nov. 8 after falling from a 62-story building in the city of Changsha. Yongning's death was confirmed by his girlfriend in a social media post this month. Yongning was known to post dramatic videos of himself perched on top of tall buildings without the use of safety equipment. According to Chinese media reports, he was participating in a challenge to win a substantial amount of money when he recorded the Weibo video. Wu Yongning posted videos of his climbs to Chinese social platform Weibo. Weibo / BBC Yongning had martial arts training, and previously took part in some television and film productions. The act of "rooftopping" has become increasingly popular across the world, according to the BBC.    © 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Woman pleads guilty in killing of pregnant neighbor to keep baby

    Posted 2017-12-11 19:28:54 by: Nap-Sack ....

    FARGO, N.D. — A North Dakota woman has pleaded guilty to conspiring to kill her pregnant neighbor so she and her boyfriend could keep the baby, though officials remained tight-lipped about how the victim died. Thirty-eight-year-old Brooke Crews could face life in prison for , of Fargo. Fargo Police Department Crews' attorney said she wanted to take responsibility for her actions, but Crews didn't offer details on how Greywind was killed. Authorities haven't said either, but Fargo Police Chief Dave Todd has said her death was a "cruel and vicious act of depravity."Greywind was eight months pregnant when she disappeared in August. Kayakers found her body wrapped in plastic in a river. The baby was found alive in the apartment Crews shared with her 32-year-old boyfriend, William Hoehn. He's scheduled for trial in March.Crews pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit kidnapping and murder and lying to law officers. Her boyfriend, William Hoehn, 32, has pleaded not guilty to the same charges. He is scheduled for trial in March.Crews' attorney, Steven Mottinger, said that the guilty pleas will help his client argue for less than the maximum sentence of life in prison without parole. "Ms. Crews early on indicated that she wanted to take responsibility for her actions," Mottinger said. "From where I stand, she took responsibility today by entering a guilty plea to the three charges."Cass County prosecutor Birch Burdick didn't comment on Crews' plea. Burdick said further details aren't likely to be released until after Hoehn's case is finished. "As you're well aware, this is one important step in two cases that are intertwined," Burdick said outside the courtroom. "At least our office will be rather circumspect until we've got both cases resolved. Then we can elaborate more fully." Crews initially claimed that Greywind gave up her newborn daughter, but she later admitted ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Apple buys song-recognition app Shazam

    Posted 2017-12-11 19:04:33 by: Nap-Sack ....

    SAN FRANCISCO — Apple has bought Shazam, the maker of a song-recognition app that the technology titan's Siri digital assistant already uses to help people identify the music playing on their iPhones. The companies didn't disclose the price of the acquisition announced Monday. Recode previously Apple () is paying about $400 million for Shazam, citing three unidentified people familiar with the deal. Previous funding rounds had valued the startup as high as $1 billion, according to Crunchbase. Snap and Spotify had also approached Shazam about a possible deal, according to reports.Apple issued a statement describing Shazam as "natural fit" with its services, but declined to say whether Shazam's app will still be available after the deal closes. It's unclear what will happen to Shazam's existing .In 2014, Siri began using Shazam's technology to answer questions about songs as part of an update to the iPhone's operating system. Since then, Apple has launched a music streaming service that has more than 27 million subscribers. © 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Sandy Hook parents release chilling PSA ahead of 5-year anniversary

    Posted 2017-12-11 18:53:06 by: Nap-Sack ....

    A depicting a local news broadcast about a school shooting that has yet to occur is the latest public service announcement created by to help bring awareness to the warning signs often displayed by people who are at risk of hurting themselves or others.In the minute-long video, which was released just days before the fifth anniversary of the in Newtown, Connecticut, a reporter interviews people about "tomorrow's shooting" involving a 15-year-old boy who kills four students and two adults before committing suicide. Classmates, teachers and parents all reveal warning signs, including bullying, social media threats and suspicious comments made by the shooter that should have alerted them that something was wrong."He told some of us that his dad kept a gun in his closet and he always talked about using it on, you know, the people that bullied him. Tomorrow, I'll probably say that I wish I told someone," one of the classmates tells the reporter in the video."Tomorrow, I'll probably point out that something has seemed off with him since the beginning of the school year," the boy's teacher says."Well, someone is expected to tell us after the shooting that the shooter has posted on social media about doing this for weeks," a detective says.The correspondent ends the report after speaking with a witness, who says her young daughter will be killed in the shooting. "This is Christine Lin, reporting from another shooting we'll say we never saw coming," the reporter signs off from the scene.Sandy Hook Promise, a non-profit organization made up of parents, schools and community organizations to deliver  programs, produced the PSA which was released Monday"You can stop tomorrow's shootings if you recognize the warning signs today," the group says at the end of the short video.The video's message is similar to the  the group shared last year, in which a red-haired boy named Evan searches for a mystery girl at his high school. As the pair finally meet in the ...

    Comments: 0   View more...